Aussie Curves: Knits

 So when most people think of "Knits", they probably think of woollen scarves, jumpers, wraps.. not me. My mind immediately went to "Sweater Girl!"

If you don't already know, the "Sweater Girls" were a group of Hollywood Starlets who popularised tight sweaters in the 1940s and 1950s. A 40s/50s bullet bra, a tight jumper - you get the idea. You could wear something high necked that was ostensibly modest but.. well, you can see the effect for yourself. 
Three famous Sweater Girls: Lana Wood, Marilyn Munroe, Vera Day
I'm no Hollywood starlet but I'm not opposed to getting my curve on! Here I am channelling the sweater girls in wide legged black pants from City Chic, A long sleeved black t-shirt from Target and a knit top from Tempt. The top has a cool chevron pattern on it and long cuffs on the sleeves. 
We met some friends for a picnic by the Yarra, and had absolutely perfect weather, so I thought I would take advantage of the lovely scenery.

The key to this look is emphasising the waist - I did this by putting on a totally unnecessary belt on over my sweater to draw attention to my waist. 



I know that a figure hugging look like this can be a challenge for some, but this look is all about your curves and showing them off. I know that there's plenty of people out there who like to focus on some curves over others - and when they say curvy what they really mean is "large boobs and small everything else" but I am learning more and more to accept and even love all my curvy bits. My arms, and my stomach, and my hips.. Like everyone there are days I do this really well and days I really struggle, but I think it's the effort that counts. The more all of us can learn to love our bodies, the better off we will be. 

I also had to show you my other favourite Knit. It is a Focks from polish Etsy seller cepaliu. He is a gorgeous black fox knitted from very thick and warm wool. He has legs and a tail and a sculpted head with golden eyes.. kids love him because it looks like I am wearing a stuffed toy. I love him because he's deliciously whimsical and really warm too. He's very cleverly designed and can be worn dozens of different ways. 


With my makeup I did my very best Hollywood Starlet look - with strong brows, a bright red lip, wingtip eye-liner and the biggest false eyelashes I could find. My eyeshadow is a cream and a light brown from the Too Faced Smokey Eye Palette - these blend together beautifully for a really classic look.

Now you've seen my take on it, before you go check out all the other lovely ladies in the blog hop below, consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter. I'm going to be sharing all sorts of fun stuff with you, you won't want to miss out.

Once you've done that, leave me a comment so I know you've been here, and then have a look at all the other fabulous ladies!






23 comments

  1. I always look forward to your posts 'cos I know you'll interpret the challenge in your typically unique way. Once again I love your outfit, sweater girls rule! That fox is quirky and adorable. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love my fox! I have been told off for wearing him - apparently even a fake fox is glorifying and/or promoting the idea of wearing a real one according to some people.. I said "Oh, I'm not wearing him, he's riding me!" which was confusing enough to shut them up :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bek! You always have different twist to the theme. It is refreshing!

    I hear what you are saying about loving your curves. Doing these posts has actually been wonderful. I am increasingly having photos taken of me that I love. rather than hate. It feels good! My curves are all in the 'wrong' places, with very little bust, but all ass and thighs! However my Husband reminds me every day that me loves my curves where they are! I am starting to too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes... I am really not very photogenic at all, but the more I take photos, the better I look in them! Blogging has really helped me with that too.

      And yes, your shape is gorgeous - just because it's not the shape seen in fashion magazines doesn't make it "not beautiful" or unworthy of love or appreciation.. your husband is 100% correct! :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely adore ur style and u are a kindred spirit to me!! I am a pin up/retro vintage/hollywood glamour gal!!!! Look fwd to ur next post dollface!! Ps I never leave home without my winged eye and red lip as well!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I LOOOVE your sweater girl inspiration!! I completely adore everything from era's before mine!! haha! your colour palette suits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History is a deep mine, there's so much of it to be inspired by..

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! After some requests on FaceBook I am posting a hair tutorial for this look tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  6. You're a knock out, drop dead gorgeous again! Love your style, you're an inspiration ;~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you to say, Cherie! I happen to think you are a bit of an inspiration too :)

      Delete
  7. Great style Omega! I love those old fashion movies for the style, especially stunning sweater girls. That fox is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love for my silly fox knows no bounds! :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous shots! I have to say that I for one can't seem to do sweaters. I can't find any that I like the look of on me!! The hunt continues...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe there is a knit for everyone, I'd just try on heaps, you will find some you like eventually..

      Delete
  9. love this look. the hair works well with it too :)
    and that is a gorgeous knit.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) I have done a hair tutorial on this style if you want to see how I did it :)

      Delete
  10. I ADORE the sweater girls you've chosen as inspiration and heck lady, you pull it off like no ones business. And as far as sweaters go, the tighter the better in my opinion. You know, most of the time. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. I think there's something to be said for a big roomy comfy sweater that makes you feel like you're wearing a blankie all day.. but I like the fitted ones as well :)

      Delete
  11. I really like this look, you look awesome as always. xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my favourite look on you so far! I love it all!!

    ReplyDelete